Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Ready for the Ragnarok?



Man, oh man, am I excited for Ragnarok Odyssey now. XSEED Games finally gave us an official release date of Oct 30th. I already have the Mercenary Edition on preorder at Gamestop so now I'm really just counting down the days until my Vita will see another quality retail title. Don't get me wrong, there are plenty of really stellar PSN titles for it, especially now that PlayStation Mobile launched (more on that later), but I haven't really made a purchase for the system since the MGS HD Collection came out back in June. Some four months later and there is finally something interesting enough to warrant some cash to leave my wallet.

RO is your basic 3D co-op hack 'n slash, similar to Monster Hunter or Phantasy Star Online, but set in the Ragnarok universe. I'm not going to lie, I've never even had the desire to play other Ragnarok games. No particular reason, I was just always playing something else really. Now this one is hitting the Vita, a system seriously starved for a decent release library, and I am not going to miss it.

Of course the Mercenary Edition helped that a bit. Regrettably I missed out on reserving the extremely limited Persona 4: The Golden Solid Gold Edition. That edition runs $80 and gives ya the game, Vita carrying case, protective case, and stickers. There's also a Vita skin and wallpaper set but those come with regular edition preorders. Honestly though, the Ragnarok Odyssey Mercenary Edition seems to be quite the awesome deal. For $50 you get the game, 96-page art book/multiplayer strategy guide, 32-song soundtrack CD, and a random assortment of 10 of the game's 50 monster cards. For $10 more than the cost of the game. Only $10 more.



I mean yeah it's not loads of Vita accesories like P4G's Solid Gold Edition, but you also pay $30 less. Not to mention the CD and art book are far more complete than the usual 20-page art book or 12-song sample CD soundtrack. These are meaty!

So yeah yeah, enough gushing. The game looks great and I'm pretty excited for the online 4-player co-op. I even have a few buds ready to build a party with me so we can go take some giants down a few pegs. I'm totally starting an Archer and naming him Clint Barton. Oh yeah.

No comments: